Let’s Geaux Louisiana is a coalition of organizations throughout our state that supports comprehensive statewide legislation to bring companies like Lyft and Uber to communities across Louisiana.
Louisiana is one of only 5 states left in the nation with a patchwork of conflicting local ridesharing regulations – leading to confusion for drivers and meaning some residents can get rides when they need them but others cannot. A single set of statewide rules for ridesharing companies in Louisiana will help keep people safe, create more economic opportunities, and expand access to reliable transportation.
- SAFETY: Studies have shown reductions in DWIs and disorderly conduct arrests in communities where companies like Lyft and Uber operate. Drivers undergo rigorous background checks while riders can take advantage of an array of safety features including GPS tracking, a two-way rating system, emergency response lines, and vehicle identification.
- ECONOMIC IMPACT: Ridesharing is an economic driver for communities, empowering drivers to earn additional income on a flexible schedule and helping residents and tourists reach more local businesses. 75% of surveyed Lyft passengers say the app helps get them to more bars and restaurants and visitors from more than 70 countries have taken an Uber trip in Louisiana over the last three months.
- ACCESS TO TRANSPORTATION: Right now, rideshare companies operate in several major cities, but suburban and rural communities are being left behind. With a statewide framework, even more people in Louisiana will benefit from a convenient ride at the tap of a button – and current riders and drivers will count on an even more reliable experience.
This year, the Louisiana State Legislature has the opportunity to create a single set of rules for ridesharing that would pave the way for Uber and Lyft to operate across Louisiana – just as 45 states have done. Contact your legislator and urge them to bring ridesharing to all of the Bayou State!
Let’s Geaux Louisiana coalition members include:
- One Acadiana
- Louisiana Retailers Association
- Jefferson Parish Chamber of Commerce
- Fresh Junkie Racing
- National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- Upper Lafayette Economic Development Foundation
- Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- Hampton Inn & Suites – Baton Rouge
- Raising Cane’s River Center
- Natchitoches Chamber of Comment District
- Gnarly Barley Brewing
- GNO Inc
- NOLA Motorsports Park
- Pelican Institute
- Hispanic Young Professionals of Louisiana
- Louisiana Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Jefferson Business Council
- Americans United Against Destructive Driving (AUADD)
- Natchitoches Community Alliance
As the Voice of the Innovation Economy, TechNet advances public policies and private sector initiatives at the federal, state, and local levels that make the United States the world leader in innovation. We champion policies that foster a climate of innovation and competition, allowing America’s tech industry to flourish. Learn more at TechNet.org.